Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveBell SteveBell is offline

Default New Wood Fece Termite Damage?

Anthony Lisanti wrote:

I just installed a new wood fence on my property about 6 months ago. I
just got around to treating it with water seal, and I've noticed one
part the wood seems mushy with little holes, here and there. They
appear to be oval shape on a 45' angle. It's on a very small part of
the fence.

Is this termites or what? I can only assume it is, since the house
was treated 5 years ago before I bought it. If I finish sealing the
rest of the fence, would the treatment deter these things?

They're probably not termites. Termites mostly stay out of the sun and
build mud tubes to get where they want to go. I would vote for
carpenter ants or some type of boring beetle.

Sealer will likely have no effect on insects. If you're using
Thompson's Water Seal, it's just paraffin dissolved in naphtha, so
you're just applying a thin film of candle wax.

Replace the bad boards.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement