Posted to alt.home.repair
Anthony Lisanti Anthony Lisanti is offline

Default SemiGloss Paint Looks Blotchy

Same problem I had when I moved in and painted. Apparently, the
paint dried too fast, some areas too much paint. This was the first
home I owned, and I've never painted before. My life is pretty much
a desk and a spreadsheet, so handy I'm not.

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 04:03:28 +0000 (UTC), "SteveBell"
wrote:

James Harvey wrote:

Hello,

I am repainting a door with Behr Premium Plus Semi Gloss latex
enamel. The door was originally painted with semigloss latex but I
primed it with Kilz 2 latex anyway. There were probably at least two
layers of existing paint.

When the paint dried it looked awful, in my opinion. There were
areas that were glossy and others that were somewhat flat-looking.
Brush marks were prominent even tho I used a good quality synthetic
brush. I even tried a second coat to no avail. The paint was mixed
thoroughly.

I did paint another door that had only one layer of existing paint
using the same primer, paint, and brush, and it looks great.

I would appreciate any advice on what I could do differently,
including stripping the old paint if that sounds necessary. This
paint is too expensive to be wasting it on trial-and-error.

Kilz has so many solids that it's hard to put on smoothly. That could
be the source of your problem.

Brush marks and splotching usually come from paint that's too thick or
that dries to quickly.

Let the new paint dry thoroughly, then sand it with fine sandpaper to
get rid of existing brush marks.

Use Floetrol (or a competing brand) to thin the paint and make it dry
more slowly. This gives the paint time to level.

Paint the door horizontally on sawhorses so gravity helps level the
paint.

Keep a wet edge. Start at one end and work to the other. If you let the
paint in one spot get partly dry, work somewhere else, and come back to
the first spot, the paint there has partly dried. Dragging the brush
over partially dried paint disrupts the surface and makes _very_
obvious marks.

The best way to avoid brush marks is to spray.