Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] l-lopez@uiuc.edu is offline

Default Problem using Akeda DT jig

I hadn't thought of the downward pull. The bit is still sharp and I
made about 3 or 4 passes to route the joints. I will look at the bit
height tonight.

Thanks
Len
-------

charlieb wrote:
Swingman wrote:

I do NOT own an Akeda, but a Leigh instead, and have cut countless half
blind dovetails over the years.

That said, it would appear that the same "depth of cut" issue is in play for
cutting the pins of half blind dovetails with either jig:

With the Leigh, "depth of cut" is the deciding factor when cutting pins on
whether the half blind dovetails joint is loose or tight ... sounds like
your bit may have slipped.

Late to another thread but my vote is for Swingman's answer.

Remember, you're using 1/4" diameter shank bitS (unless you got
the 8mm shanks - and collet) and the shanks are longer than regular
router bits in order to work in any of the dovetail jigs. And the
dovetail bit wants to pull DOWN as it cuts.

The other possible source, or contributing factor is ply vs solid
wood. Ply has a fair amount of glue which tends to dull cutting
edges faster than most woods. Dull edges mean more downward
force. And the faster you try and make the cut the more the
downward force.

Did you make the cuts in four or five passes or just a full plunge
and then lateral movement?

charlie b