Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Excitation of 65 Kva Alternator

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 23:28:52 GMT, wrote:

And red diesel/heating oil is available for legal use in them. I don't
think duty free petrol is available.

Red diesel (35sec oil) isn't duty free it just has less duty, 12p/l IIRC.
Heating oil, kersosene, parafin, (28sec oil) for domestic heating has no
duty and VAT is at 5% but that probably alters if you use it for a gen
set. VAT I'd expect to be 17.5%. Might be worth asking HMR&C what the
situation is WRT 28sec oil used in a genset.

Of course it would be better to get an engine that is happy on SVO
(straight vegetable oil) and talk nicely to your local chippy. Though you
would need a waste transport licence and be a registered waste handler...

You can claim back the duty you pay on petrol if you jump through the
right hoops with HMR&C.

--
Cheers
Dave.