Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cutting a few surface roots of a tree

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 20:57:32 -0500, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

In running my sprinkler system I came across some tree roots that has
basically twisted around under and over my 1" PVC pipe. I am trying to
untangle them but it's impossible. The roots are fifteen feet away from the
center of the tree and I want to cut the roots away to free the pipe so I
can work on it.

The problem is I am not sure what is the best way to cut these roots there
are two pieces about 2" in diameter so it's pretty thick. I tried using a
recipicating saw but the angle is such that it's real difficult and the
blade would strike the pipe when fully extended.

I tried a handsaw and same problem could not extend back and forth without
striking the pipe or other parts of the roots. About the only thing I think
would work would be a mini-hack saw but that will not go far with that size
root.

I do have a 4.5" angle grinder but I only have metal or masonry blades, no
wood blades and I don't think they make one. Could a grinder with metal
blade work in this case? It seems that it should.

Thanks,

MC

A good pair of loppers should do it.