Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New Swiss Plane??

I work for a Swiss company and travel there once or twice a year. I've
gone out looking for tools a few times but never came across any good
shops. The company is sort of out in the sticks. I think someday I'll
come across that set of chisels and be a very happy man.

On Nov 5, 7:37*am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
I saw something on the DIYnetwork last night. It was showing the evolution
of hand tools from hundreds of years ago to now. *One interesting plane that
was showed was a new hand plane made in switzerland. *It had a sole make of
laminated steel. It also had a variety of disposable blades. The blades
inserted easily.

Apparently the thinking behind it was that cheap knockoffs of traditional
designs simply did not work well. And expensive, quality planes were beyond
the price range for many woodworkers. *So this is supposedly a quality plane
made for a reasonable price.

Sounds like it might work. I just never heard of it or seen it. Maybe it is
only available in Europe and not the US.

Any comments or direct experiences anybody?