Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott[_2_] Tim Wescott[_2_] is offline

Default Briggs and Stratton engine. (Off topic)

On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 12:33:39 -0800, Gunner Asch wrote:

On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 09:04:04 -0800, Tim Wescott
wrote:

RJ wrote:
"stryped" wrote in message

I have an old tiller given to me by my grandfather. It is a 5
horsepower Brigs. The carb is mounted to the gas tank. It would only
run with starting fluid for 10 seconds then shut off. I took the carb
off to clean it but there is a long pencil looking plastic tube from
the carb that goes into the gas tank. It has a screenon the bottom of
it. It broke off.

Do I need to replace it and what could be wrong with it not starting?

Yes... Answer as to why it will not start "It broke off."

Note that it didn't break off until _after_ he took it apart.

It was likely cracked.

I'd do a complete rebuild on the carb, just on general principals. If
the tube is that old, then the rest of the non-metal parts are that
degraded, too, and any fine passages may well be choked with varnish.

So fix it!

Could be. Whatever is wrong, a carburetor -- even a little bitty one in
a Vibration & Stratton engine -- only works well when it's clean.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services