Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Greg O Greg O is offline

Default Briggs and Stratton engine. (Off topic)

"stryped" wrote in message
I have an old tiller given to me by my grandfather. It is a 5
horsepower Brigs. The carb is mounted to the gas tank. It would only
run with starting fluid for 10 seconds then shut off. I took the carb
off to clean it but there is a long pencil looking plastic tube from
the carb that goes into the gas tank. It has a screenon the bottom of
it. It broke off.

Do I need to replace it and what could be wrong with it not starting?

You need to replace the tube, any B&S dealer can get one for you. Also there
is a fuel pump diaphragm under a rectangular cover on the side of the carb.
Replace it, even if it looks good. Try blow compressed air or carb cleaner
through all passages, there are not very many to worry about.
Greg