Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Review: Zenith DTT901 DTV converter box

N8N wrote:
On Oct 31, 4:44 pm, dpb wrote:
dpb wrote:

Oh, one more thing...in analog pass-thru mode the signal was
significantly poorer, to the point of being virtually unwatchable.

I was researching these online a while back and at the time it seemed
that the Zenith was the best coupon eligible box available in stores
BUT a repeated comment was that the included coax to go between the
box and the TV was crrrrrrap. If you're using RCA cables to get your
DTV signals into your TV that could certainly explain what you are
seeing.

Well, actually, when I was plugging it in for the first test I
overlooked there was a cable in the box and used another instead. So,
if it's that piece of cable, it would be a pretty strong coincidence.

As noted just earlier, I did a search of the FCC site for the particular
stations and it appears that none are at the present broadcasting their
digital signal at much of a power level at all. It appears that the
links to signal "maps" at the popularized websites must be using license
application limits rather than actuals on file w/ the FCC as they all
indicated usable strengths. I've not gone back and done a detailed
comparison of the data; perhaps the other sites are simply using the
analog signal strength w/ the assumption of eventual digital matching
that knowing that the bulk of the population is so near a transmitter it
really doesn't make any difference, anyway, so why worry about the
fraction of a percent to whom the real data might be of some use?