Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default Briggs and Stratton engine. (Off topic)

On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 12:32:50 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 07:20:48 -0800 (PST), stryped
wrote:

I have an old tiller given to me by my grandfather. It is a 5
horsepower Brigs. The carb is mounted to the gas tank. It would only
run with starting fluid for 10 seconds then shut off. I took the carb
off to clean it but there is a long pencil looking plastic tube from
the carb that goes into the gas tank. It has a screenon the bottom of
it. It broke off.

Do I need to replace it and what could be wrong with it not starting?

Yes, and yes. thats the pickup tube. No tube, no gas.

The tube has a built in check valve, and the "gasket" is the
diaphragm, and in 90% of cases needs to be replaced. Even with
everything in good order, these engines will only start with the tank
nearly full.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada