Posted to uk.d-i-y
BigWallop[_2_] BigWallop[_2_] is offline

Default Converting 2 gang socket to 3 gang

"Rod" wrote in message
BigWallop wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
Having looked further, I have found another oddity - the screws. Most
screws for back boxes I have seen have either been ordinary machine
screws with a straight-across cut end, or slightly fancier ones with

step and an unthreaded bit which seems to help with locating them.

The Clipsal Converta 2 to 3 socket came with screws the like of which

don't think I have ever seen! So here is a pictu

http://www.flickr.com/photos/polyurethane/299513

I have a feeling that they might actually work well - but will not

know
until I have tried. But does anyone know what this sort of screw end

is
called?

--
Rod
Rod

I do know what you mean (because I have fitted these converters many

times).
Your link does not work for the photo.

Adam

Ooops - must have dropped a few characters.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/polyurethane/2995131404/

But you don't know what they are called either. :-)

Rod

Those screws are "Self Tappers" because they come to a sharp point and

will
cut their own hole. Where do the instructions say they should be used?
Does the three gang socket have holes at the ends to fix them back to

the
wall? Does the converta have a knock out on the back to fix it to the
existing back box? Doe the converta come with its own back box for

surface
mounting onto an existing sunken back box?

Or, in other words, tell us more about this "Converta" thing you've

bought

BW,

They are categorically not self-tappers. The end is far too blunt. No
way could they cut a hole even in a piece of cardboard, let alone a
steel back box.

Not sure exactly what the instructions say in words - but as with so
many modern electrical things, the pair of screws was clipped to the
back of the socket.

The 3 to 2 overhangs a bit at each end (I think I posted 45 and 25 mm L
& R respectively) but there are no additional screws. There is no knock
out. It has a couple of lugs that fit quite neatly just in front of the
holes in a standard double back box. These screws go from just below the
earth holes for two sockets, through the lugs, into the back box.

Rod

Like this
http://www.alertelectrical.com/creat...Ejpg&width=560
?

I see where the screws are meant to go in this picture. The Converta does
not have any type of back box on its own, so the edges are deeper to allow
for the depth of the sockets inside.

I'd go with what Adam (ARWadsworth) has advised, and get a couple of longer
length 3.5mm retainer screws for this job. The screws provided look like
they will damage the lugs on any back box, metal or ABS.

I'd hate to use them on a plasterboard box. They would tear the screw
inserts right out.