Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy robo hippy is offline

Default Musing about professional woodturners.

Arch,
Good to have you back. I was wondering why we hadn't heard from you
for a while. Hope the mending goes well for you.

As far as the medical profession goes, I guess it is like all things
and the people involved. We are all different. I have had some doctors
who are cold and distant, and some who are warm and friendly. Smaller
organizations tend to be more friendly. The big hospital less so. Thus
far, I haven't had to experience too much of the big stuff yet, but
old age is catching up with me.

robo hippy

On Nov 4, 8:24*am, mac davis wrote:
On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 21:42:58 -0800 (PST), Joe Fleming
wrote:

I see valid points there, Joe, but a big difference..

In my experience, (I guess I'm a professional turner), most trades are very
guarded and secretive about what they know and what they'll share with the
"competition"..
Turners seem eager to share their techniques, tips, etc. with others.. As you
said, maybe it's because we started out at hobby folks..

Arch,

I think you hit the nail on the head. *Professionals of all stripes
tend to share with those in their discipline. *As an engineer, the
people in my professional association work well together. *We also
work with engineering students to encourage their participation and
success as engineers. *I suspect medical professionals collaborate, as
well as others within their disciplines.

Maybe what makes any crafts-based discipline different than degree-
based disciplines is that our roots in the crafts means that many
professionals started as hobbyists and enthusiasts. *We represent the
educational base for our discipline. *We do not have any professional
programs for woodturners. *The closest we have are woodworking
programs and arts/design programs. *Both may touch on woodturning, but
neither focus on it.

Joe Fleming, San Diego

On Nov 3, 3:12*pm, (Arch) wrote:
(Well Dearly Beloved I'm back after a trip thru hell, aka the American
healthcare system with a MI and quadruple bypass with every complication
and screw-up known to man. The system ain't just broke, it's compound
fractured and predatory. Abandon all hope, Yee who enter it, but that's
not pertinent here.)

Lying in bed,I had a chance to compare professional woodturners with
professionals in other disciplines and I think I see a difference and
one reason for it. *

Most professional turners were and still relate strongly to being
amateurs or hobbyists. They remain enthusiastic and openly share their
expertise. For them, turning remains a hobby to be enjoyed. They don't
just drive a trade. Yes they turn for profit, but the majority of we
hobbyists also sell a few turnings from time to time. (I hope not for
peanuts and way below our costs. That undercuts our brothers.)

In hospital the pros; docs, lab & Xray techs, nurses etc. were polite,
and no doubt competent, but enthusiasm and willingness to share their
fund of knowledge were lacking. I suspect this holds for most other
professionals.

Just musing along to help ensure rcw's needed survival or maybe seven
hours of anesthesia has finally destroyed my few remaining neurons. * *

Anyway, what's your take about our profs? Any advice re turning while
using a walker wouldn't be amiss either.

Turn to Safety, *Arch * * * * * * * * * * * *

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing