Silvan

Default Help, please? Need blunt "points" on dowels

Larry Jaques wrote:

line. Pass the router across the top and presto magnifico make a lot of
pointy roundy dowel thingies.

Ooooh, Silvan! You win the no-prize for Best Idea! I need 8 of these
barrels per gun. This rig will be perfect!

I'm glad somebody finally appreciates the power of improvisational
engineering.

How ya gonna rotate them suckahs so they have round ends
all the way -around- the end? Huh? Huh? Huh?

That's a good point, actually. We said V bit, which cuts like

|\ /|
||\ /||

What I was actually envisioning when I thought of the aforementioned jig was
a bit with the exact opposite provile of that. It would leave a nice
little point.

Now that I think about it, a bit like that wouldn't be very useful for
anything other than making pointy dowels, and therefore, I'll bet nobody
makes one.

You could grind and file something to work maybe, but you'd be taking your
life into your hands to spin some shop made gizmo at 25,000 RPMs.

So that *does* present a difficulty.

I guess the thing to do then would be a two tiered jig...

Dowel goes into the bottom, and centered above it is a suitable guide hole
for the router. Run the router around the hole, and cut all the way around
the dowel in the process. Build the jig with eight slots, so you can do a
whole batch without having to turn the router off.

Or, IIRC the OP Only needed to taper off two parallel sides of a dowel, in
which case having a sliding rail thingie as originally put forward could
work, if it had two guide channels for the router.

Where there's a will, there's a way to rigimicate something, dammit!

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 17754 Approximate word count: 532620