Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Briggs and Stratton engine. (Off topic)

On Nov 4, 8:20*am, stryped wrote:
I have an old tiller given to me by my grandfather. It is a 5
horsepower Brigs. The carb is mounted to the gas tank. It would only
run with starting fluid for 10 seconds then shut off. I took the carb
off to clean it but there is a long pencil looking plastic tube from
the carb that goes into the gas tank. It has a screenon the bottom of
it. It broke off.

Do I need to replace it and what could be wrong with it not starting?

For B&S repair, I use this book:
http://www.amazon.com/How-Repair-Bri...=sip_rech_dp_3

Sounds like it may be a Pulsa-Jet and that's really not like a regular
carb. No float or needle valve and seat for one thing. A diaphram
pump works off the crankcase pulses and fills an elevated well up in
the fuel tank, overage just spills back. The tube sucks the gas into
the carb. Yes, it needs to be replaced and good luck finding the
part. If you've got an old-line small engine repair place around,
they may be able to help you out, either with N.O.S. parts or
something off the scrap pile. You will need the engine number to
locate parts, which is stamped into the housing somewhere unless
somebody has done some creative things to it. You might have to use
something like JB Weld to get the bits back together if you can't find
parts. Find some way to replace the screen, too.

Stan