Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Perkin Richard Perkin is offline

Default Fed up with HP

Mike Tomlinson wrote in
:

In article , Richard Perkin
writes

The best part is - it only cost £10...

And your electricity bill is?

Acceptable

The 4500 uses a lot of power when on...

From the specs in the Service Manual:
During printing: 480W
During standby: 320W
During PowerSave: 32W

...and takes too long to come
ready on power up to be of any use in a domestic environment.

It does take a minute or two to warm up fully and run its startup
tests when coming out of PowerSave. But 'no use' is a bit strong - it
really is a fine bit of kit. The biggest argument against it for a
'domestic' printer is its size and weight - at 57kg (or 75kg with the
duplexer etc fitted) it's a beast of a printer. As I said, it doesn't
really have the Wife Acceptance Factor!

Have a couple at work, they're good printers if slow.

The duty cycle is stated to be 35,000 pages per month, so a heavy (!)
duty picce of office kit. The speed is specced at 18ppm mono, 4ppm
colour. A few years ago when I used to author and print 200+ page
docs with reasonably complex content my rule of thumb was 3ppm for
colour printing.

But you're right, they're not for the average home user. But they are
a good example of what kind of heavy duty, quality printers can be
picked up for modest prices - if you know what you're looking for and
can live with obsolete kit.

As I write this there are two on eBay UK: one at £150, the other at
99p but needing an imaging drum which should cost about £20. There's
even a drum kit currently listed at 99p...

[Aside: If anyone wants a copy of the Service Manual for the 4500 /
4500 Color LaserJet, email me. I guess that's another advantage of
this kind of kit - it has 'proper' documentation, and spare parts are
available]

Kind regards

--
Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.