Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default Cutting a few surface roots of a tree

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Nov 3, 8:57 pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
In running my sprinkler system I came across some tree roots that has
basically twisted around under and over my 1" PVC pipe. I am trying to
untangle them but it's impossible. The roots are fifteen feet away from
the
center of the tree and I want to cut the roots away to free the pipe so I
can work on it.

The problem is I am not sure what is the best way to cut these roots there
are two pieces about 2" in diameter so it's pretty thick. I tried using a
recipicating saw but the angle is such that it's real difficult and the
blade would strike the pipe when fully extended.

I tried a handsaw and same problem could not extend back and forth without
striking the pipe or other parts of the roots. About the only thing I
think
would work would be a mini-hack saw but that will not go far with that
size
root.

I do have a 4.5" angle grinder but I only have metal or masonry blades, no
wood blades and I don't think they make one. Could a grinder with metal
blade work in this case? It seems that it should.

Thanks,

MC

Can't you dig back a little farther from the pipe so you don't hit it?

The grinder will probably burn through wood as much as cut it, but I
don't see that being a problem.

Or you could get one of these:

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/is...hopscr819.html

or these:

http://www.unbelievable-saw.com/

It's hard to describe, the tree root comes to the pipe and then when above
and below it at the same time, hence engulfing it and when I dig back it's
also roots. The other two sides of the pipe I cannot dig back because one
side is the exterior wall of the house, the other side is the concrete
driveway. It's in a real tricky angle and that's why the recipricating saw
did not work.

Your "chain" saw may work if I can dig deep to get under the root on the
outside, but even if I cut that out, I still need to "free" the pipe from
the hugging portion of the root. That's why I need something light and
manuveurable to cut that off. I thought of a Rotozip with a cutoff wheel
too but that would probably just break.

Thanks,

MC