Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Henry Kolesnik Henry Kolesnik is offline

Default unkown output impedance measurement?

I just recalled I have an old GR 583-A Output Power Meter and if it
still works it'll tell me. It's been wasting gravity for years, Google
it and you'll see one on Sphere. Thanks to all for the comments, and
I'd like to know any tricks?
Hank
"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in message
news
Roger
50 years ago I wound and rewound many a transformer with great
success. But today I'm older, more patient and lazy and looking for an
easy way out that may not be totally accurate.
But I kind of recall reading an excellent article with a trick that I
thought was pretty ingenious but I never saved it. It may have been a
ham mag, or Howard Sams booklet or maybe Rufus Turner. Maybe someone
will remember.
Hank
"Engineer" wrote in message
On Nov 2, 5:47 pm, "Charles" wrote:
"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in message

What the easiest ways to measure the output impedance of a push
pull tube
amplifier?

Load the amplifier with an adjustable resistor. When the loaded
output
voltage drops to 1/2 of the no-load voltage, the resistor can be
removed and
measured with an ohmmeter.

Sorry, not so. This will only give you what I originally mentioned,
i.e. equivalent generator source impedance (see Thevenin), and it will
be very low - no use in selecting speakers. You need the O/P
transformer (OPT) ratio. Make sure the receiver/amplifier is OFF. Use
a filament transformer run off a variac to energise the OPT secondary
(use the speaker terminals) - keep it low, say 2 to 4 VAC. Measure
the OPT primary and secondary voltages at a few levels. Calculate
each ratio and average them. Figure out the correct plate load for
the O/P tube (not covered here) - it will likely be in the range 4
Kohms to 8 Kohms, call it Rp. Then the correct speaker load will be
Rp/OPT ratio squared. Ex: Rp = 5000 ohms, OPT ratio found to be
36:1. Then, speaker should be 5000/(36)^2 = 5000/1296 = 3.86 ohms.
So use a 4 ohm speaker.
Cheers,
Roger