Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce in Bangkok[_5_] Bruce in Bangkok[_5_] is offline

Default Another newbie lathe question

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 09:09:22 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Nov 3, 10:05*am, Bruce in Bangkok
You can cut either 4140 or stainless with HSS quite successfully. In
fact it was the common job shop method of machining nearly all metals
up to the 1970's when I left the business. And probably still is in
the smaller shops today.

Bruce-in-Bangkok

Agreed, but unless I can postpone the job a day I have to use the
tooling already on the lathe and the metal in the scrap bin.

Of course. I thought you were saying that you were going to add
carbide tooling so that you could machine 4140 and/or stainless. I was
just saying that you could machine both materials with (what I
thought) would be the added cost of the carbide tooling.

Bruce-in-Bangkok