Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Boiler pressure sensor

"Kevin Poole" wrote in message

John Rumm wrote:
Kevin Poole wrote:
My son's Glow-worm 30cxi condensing combi has performed perfectly for 3
years.

Today, it didn't fire up. The display was flashing a pressure of
0.4bar, so he opened the filling valve. He heard some water flow in,
but the pressure barely changed, and the flow soon stopped.

snip

It sounds like you have pretty poor mains pressure. A typical result of
opening a filling loop and leaving it on would be to raise the pressure
to the point the PRV operates. Have you got an gauge on the external;
filling loop?

No mechanical gauge at all, I'm afraid. The question of why the prv
didn't operate is one that's been bothering me in the dark watches of the
night. Starting fault-finding at 10pm in someone else's house is not
ideal for a day-person, so I didn't think to check the flow rate at his
cold tap, either. The prv isn't stuck - I manually released it OK, so
what pressure do they normally blow off at?

Mains pressure is _normally_ fine - he's at about the lowest point in the
county.

--
Kevin Poole
****Use current date to reply (e.g. )****

I thought it best not to use PRV as it can lead to them weeping if grit gets
into seating.