Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Boiler pressure sensor

Kevin Poole wrote:
My son's Glow-worm 30cxi condensing combi has performed perfectly for 3
years.

Today, it didn't fire up. The display was flashing a pressure of
0.4bar, so he opened the filling valve. He heard some water flow in,
but the pressure barely changed, and the flow soon stopped.

Power cycled, and it showed 0.6 bar, and fired, but still wouldn't
accept any more filling. Let a bit of water out through the prv - no
change of reading, but it would then admit a small amount to refill.

It sounds like a faulty pressure sensor to me, but I suppose it could be
a circuit board fault.

Can the pressure sensor be tested other than by substitution? Can any
dummy load be applied to the circuit board to give a nominal pressure
reading?

Pressure sensors seem to be around the £70 mark, so he'd rather not buy
one if the fault's more likely to be elsewhere. Glow-worm part
2000801911, GC E83997.

Any ideas, please?

It sounds like you have pretty poor mains pressure. A typical result of
opening a filling loop and leaving it on would be to raise the pressure
to the point the PRV operates. Have you got an gauge on the external;
filling loop?

--
Cheers,

John.