Tom

Default Advice needed ASAP - bed riser construction

What about 3/4 ply, the good stuff, and set on edge cross-lapped. Built like a
tic-tac-toe board, the cells could later hold drawers, etc.. Dust ruffle,
hee-hee! Tom (Bearcat) wrote:

My wife is out of town, due back this evening, and I just realized
that this would be a great time for me to do a project she's wanted me
to do and surprise her with it. Due to the time constraints, I'm
hoping some of the more experienced people her in the newsgroup can
give me some quick advice so that I can whip this together after work.

What I need to do is pretty simple - we've stayed a bed & breakfast
places where the beds were higher than what we have at home. She'd
like me to raise our bed, and I think that a wooden riser between the
bedframe and the box springs would be the simplest thing. It's a king
bed, I'd like to raise it 18" and I'm guessing I should make the
platform in two pieces for ease of getting it in and out, so that
means 39" x 80" x 18". Since it'll all be covered by a longer dust
ruffle, it doesn't have to be pretty, just functional.

What I don't know is how strong I need to build this, and what I need
to do to avoid the platform squeeking or working loose later. It will
have to stand up to kids jumping on it, etc. so it has to be
sturdy. I'm assuming just an open framework would work, I know my wife
likes to keep things under the bed and would like to still be able to
get at them.

What material would you suggest (are 2"x4"s stout enough?)
What sort of construction techniques would you recommend?

Of course, any other suggestions are welcome (I've looked for a
premade frame that would raise the existing bed and haven't found
one).

Someday, it'll all be over....