Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Steve Stone[_2_] Steve Stone[_2_] is offline

Default Question about old heating oil tank

On Oct 31, 9:48 pm, "Logic316" wrote:
My heating oil tank is pretty old, and is located in my basement. I have no
idea how much rust might be inside it. Is there any way to gauge it's
structural integrity and approximate remaining lifespan?

How old is "pretty old"?

Typically some water gets pumped into the tank at each delivery.
The water sinks to the bottom, the oil floats on top of that water.
The water rusts out the inside of the tank, resulting in unexpected leaks.

Last month I had a 20 year old, buried 290 gallon tank at my home
replaced with an above ground oil tank.
The building inspector said 50 percent of the buried tanks he sees are
leakers.
I should of asked him what is the average age of the leakers.

Steve