Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What's the best insulation to use with 2x4's?

On Nov 3, 10:20�am, ransley wrote:
On Nov 3, 8:20�am, Aaron Fude wrote:

On Nov 3, 5:56�am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Hi,
Wondering if amount of air trapped inside the batt is same whether it is
compressed or loose? I understand R means resistance against air leak.

The more you compress, the less air trapped, the less insulation value.

I see this point but i would like to understand this. If you take this
argument to the extreme, then the least amount of insulation is best,
because that keeps the most amount of air inside the walls. So how
come just having air between the walls is bad insulation?

Thanks,

Aaron

I think you end up with wall space measurement of fiberglass R value ,
if wall is 4", fiberglass is 5", then compressed to 4 its the 4" R
rating, or near to it.- Hide quoted text -

closed cell expanding foam insulation the best, it sealls all the
nooks anbd cranies stopping air flow, and at R7 or so per inch much
better than fiberglass, yes it costs more but gives saving forever