Posted to rec.woodworking
Gary A in KC[_2_] Gary A in KC[_2_] is offline

Default Short Review: Greene & Greene Design Elements for the Workshop

Yup - I was in your class at Port Townsend. I'm the one on the far left in
the class shot.

Had a great weekend there. The Saturday night of the class, went out on the
town with Tim Lawson (one of the school founders) and George - Darrel's shop
assistant /partner. Got to enjoy some of the locally brewed ales (my
beeradvocate tee shirt was a dead giveaway to my drinking habits) and walk
around town with Tim showing us the sites (including the wooden boat
building school there).

Enjoyed Port Townsend and what Darrell had to offer. For anyone who hasn't
seen all of Darrell's work, look it up at www.furnituremaker.com.

Gary in KC

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
Always good to see kindred spirits.

I took Darrell's class last summer at Port Townsend Woodworking
school. I suppose Gary from KC and I were in the same class.
Unfortunately my lady picked me up a bit early and I didn't get
included in the class picture :-(

I also love the American Bungalow magazine when I can find it and
another who's name escapes me right now, maybe Cottage Homes? I'll
post the other mag name tonight. I live and love the Stickley stuff
and all the derivations like the Greene's.

As maybe I have mentioned here before, I will eventually launch a
furniture kit business focused primarily on this genre of furniture.
Slowly lining up all my ducks. Have about 1/2 of my initial equipment.
I have lined up a great mill for my white oak. I think I can get
Cheery from them also. I'll need to look into the African Mohag lke
Darrell uses. Really beautiful stuff. Also tuning up the business plan
and slowly building out all the business and product infrastructure
like assembly instructions, packaging, website, advertising, yada
yada.

I plan on using this group to find some beta testers once I get close
to launching.

On Oct 29, 8:59 pm, Mark & Juanita wrote:
Just finished reading Darrell Peart's "Greene & Greene Design Elements for
the Workshop".

All in all I found it a very good book, providing an historical overview
of Greene & Greene and their collaboration with Peter and John Hall during
the Ultimate Bungalow design days. The evolution of Charles' designs and
the craftsmanship that the Halls brought to the collaboration was
enlightening. A summary of G&G design elements as well as some historical
perspective is provided. The book then transitions to some detailed
expositions for re-creating G*G design elements in the modern shop.
Various design elements including the cloud lifts, leg indent details,
ebony plugs, reliefs, brackets, etc. are provided in great detail. The
final chapters provide the interpretation of G&G by three woodworkers (one
of them being Peart).

If you are interested in the Greene and Greene legacy of the Arts & Crafts
movement, this is a worthwhile addition to your library.

For those who are interested, the book ISBN is 094193696-1