Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 54 year soldering iron.

On Nov 3, 12:43*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article ,
* *Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

A testament to when quality meant something?

Indeed. I was using a 1940's Black and Decker alloy-bodied drill a few
years ago. Complete with W^D markings on it, too, so it might originally
have been used in aircraft production or similar. Taking it apart for
some cleaning, I was amazed at the internal condition of it - no cheap
crap there.

There's always been a big difference in these sort of things designed for
industrial use. Starting with the price...

Yes, today is no different. Our perception is skewed by the fact that
old mil spec and industrial kit is affordable, whereas new stuff isnt
for most of us. Plus the fact that most of the 1940s kit that died has
been disposed of by now, leaving us with a high proportion of the
better quality stuff.

NT