Posted to alt.home.repair
Rick Brandt Rick Brandt is offline

Default Moving a dryer - OK to lay it on the side or back?

bryan wrote:
Best answer = check the manual for moving instructions. Thanks! I will
do that, that's probably the best way to start.

Anyway, here are the details

We're moving it in a 2002 VW Golf, which can accommodate a 30x30x48
inch dryer lying down. Not everyone has access to a truck.

Does anyone know anything specific that will hurt a GAS dryer if I lie
it down? I can lay it on the side or back.

It's just a question of whether any internal parts are partially held in
place by gravity. Those could start moving around once the dryer is laid on
its side. If you have any of these they might go right back into place when
the dryer is turned back upright or they might not. In addition, if
anything moves around it might damage itself or other components while doing
so.

I would try gently tilting the unit and listen (feel) for any shifting. My
guess is that you will be fine. The drum in particular might move around a
bit, but that is largely dependent on how long the drive is and how rough
the roads.

I would be more worried about a washer than a dryer as dryers just aren't
that heavy.