Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Pipe Leak in Solid Floor - Suggestions Please

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

OK so now I am well passed the end of the old teather!
Bought house in 2002 and discovered that damp patch in dining room was not
due to patio door problems but a leaking pipe in the solid concrete floor.
So broke out top of channel and repaired leak in hot water feed for the
existing kitchen extension.
The damage was a broken elbow that had obviously been leaking a fair while
due to limescale build up on the face of the fitting. The elbow was
replaced with a formed bend for better flexibility.
The floor was left uncovered for a good while and the top of the slab
appeared completely dry.
Last year we decorated the room and finally got carpet down.
Over the weekend I noticed a raised bit of floor toward one corner, peeled
back the carpet to find that some infill concrete has "blown" due to damp
and there is a film of water on the bottom of the underlay.

So the questions a

Has anyone had serious leaks into a concrete floor?
Could the appearance of water be a result of the CH driving previously
leaked water to the surface?
How can I find the source of another leak if there is one?
I cannot hear water running when all taps etc are off.
The CH header tank does not appear to drop significantly if the ball is tied
up.
Within the dining room floor there are CH flow/return pipes, hot (gravity
fed) and cold (mains fed) water to the kitchen.

Any suggestions on means of locating/testing for leaks would be appreciated.
The fact that the room is the most recently refurbished makes me reluctant
to start hacking up floors/destroying box work etc. SWMBO has not yet been
appraised of the issue!

Final question:

Should insurance cover this? No plumbing work has been carried out in the
last 2 years!

TIA

Phil

When you repaired the pipe, did you then simply re-fill the hole with
cement/concrete? Was the pipe protected in any way either originally or
in your repair?

Is there any possibility of bypassing that leg of pipework? Maybe using
a completely different route? Maybe using plastic pipe would make a
route viable that was not sensible when the extension was built?

Are you certain of the route the entire pipework takes through the
concrete? I would hazard a guess that if one joint has failed, any
others that exist could also fail and would not wish to trust any that
might exist. If unprotected, I would not even wish to trust the
straight, unjointed pipework in the long term.

--
Rod

onset.