Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

Default New Combi: Change Washing Machine Plumbing?

In article ,
Neal wrote:
I have just had a new combi boiler fitted, removing the old tank etc.
My plumbing bsuggested that I should change the Washiung machine to
run only off the cold water supply (T the cold pipe, cap the hot), to
avoid the bolier cycling every time the wasing machine wanted water,
and potentially interfering with the heat balance in the shower etc.

Yes. In fact, many new washing machines are cold fill only.

I am not sure I can see the point of this. I would prefer to have the
WM use the cheaper gas heated water rather than use its own
electrically heated from cold source.

Do you regularly wash hotter than 40 deg? If not, you'll probably find your
washing machine isn't actually using the hot feed anyway.

Also, unless the pipe run is short you are more likely filling the machine
with the cold water that has been standing in the pipe and just warming up
the feed pipe...

There is a thermostatic valve on the shower, so scalding should not be
an issue (I hope)
And the WM is only used when we are in the house, so any issue of
wasted hot water in the pipe network is moot (we are just as likely to
be using the hot taps at similar times)

You use the hot water tap in the kitchen that frequently? Fair enough if
true.

Darren