Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Champ Andy Champ is offline

Default Excitation of 65 Kva Alternator

Fred wrote:

I think you'll find the cost of a radar or even a
sensible computer in the early 80's probably cost more than this generator.

I'll give you that!

Until recently the regulator in your car dashboard was a vibrating reed
affair. It worked, was cheaper and more rugged to abuse than semiconductor
equivalents. Similarly flasher relays. The access of new technology
doesn't mean it's immediately a cost effective solution to every engineering
problem.

Can't say for sure. I only know about the bits that went wrong(and
there were enough of those!). But in this case, I'll defer to the GC.

Andy