Posted to uk.d-i-y
Don[_10_] Don[_10_] is offline

Default grinding cast iron

Staffbull wrote:
I have fitted the fireplace I posted about earilier, all done!!
I have a fire grate front (if thats what you call it!) but it is just
too wide to fit into the opening of the fire so sits proud of the fire
basket (?) can I grind the side down so it will fit?

can you grind cast? or am I just oissing againt the wind trying?

thanks

Yes, you can.

In fact its about the only sort of machining that works on it IIRC.

Cast iron used in brake discs and flywheels in grey cast iron, or crank
shafts and wheel hubs in nodular cast iron can be machine turned & milled
easily.

Don.