Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default brown crud in water tank

On Nov 2, 9:42*am, Jud McCranie
wrote:
On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 11:29:12 -0600, dpb wrote:
And put at least temporarily a filter in the tank inlet to verify it's
not silt/sand from the well---which is my guess what it actually
is/where it's coming from.

I took a big sample of water directly from the pump and I couldn't see
anything.

I don't think there is any way to put a filter in the tank inlet.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Water that looks clear in a bucket or glass can still have enough silt
in it to clog a filter.

My supply water looks great but I still get dirt / silt build up in
the toilet tanks.

If there is plumbing to the tank from the well there is a way to
install filter......it's just going to take some work.

If you " took a big sample of water directly from the pump " (how
big?)
you could plumb a filter at the same point that you "took the
sample" ....let the water run & see if you clog a new filter

How much water was used between the filter changes?

Your tank "might" be the source of the brown crud but I'll put my
money on dpb's suggestion that the well is the source and putting a
filter between well & tank will verify the problem. Or just filtering
the well output (temporarily)

Unless your tank is "generating" the brown crud how would it be coming
from the tank & not the well? Organic growth? Infiltration?

cheers
Bob