Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default brown crud in water tank

"Jud McCranie" wrote in message
We have a well and a water tank with a diaphragm. Our water pressure
was getting low, so I checked the air pressure in the tank. It was a
little low, so I added air. At first it was working well, but later
in the day the water pressure dropped to almost nothing. I found that
the filter between the tank and the house was clogged up with brown
crud. I replaced the filter last night and it was OK. But this
morning the filter I put in last night was filled up with the brown
crud and pressure was almost zero again. This stuff must be coming
from within the tank. I've checked the water coming directly from the
pump and it is clear. I think the stuff is probably algae that I must
have knocked loose when I added air.

Right now I have no filter in the line because I think it will
probably just get clogged up again. The tank is 11 years old. What
are ways to solve this problem?
--

Flush the tank using a water outlet before the filter.