Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
BiffNightly[_2_] BiffNightly[_2_] is offline

Default Craftsman Lathe...Capacitor problem????

Hi Darrell,
That's the thing about the Sears Outlet store....They only had 1 lathe, so
there
was no opportunity to buy a spare. The Outlet Store here in Regina sells
off all of the returns & inventory surplus from Sears Catalogue Shopping &
Retail Store locations in western Canada, (maybe the entire country...I'm
not sure).

This is where the dilemma started for me, I purchased the lathe a couple
months ago, it was a return from somewhere, but it came with full warranty
(1 year Labour, 2 years parts), so I thought why not. Even though it was
missing the manual, & a set of turning tools, I figured the
price was right. (after seeing that you use a similar lathe that seems to
get quite a bit of use I thought it might be a decent machine.)

When the lathe quit working I took the headstock in to get serviced under
warranty but, I was informed that they do not service this item, they only
do an over the
counter exchange.....but because it is an outlet store, and inventory
changes on a daily basis, they would not replace it with a new one from
their catalogue or retail warehouses. They were only able to replace it
for me if another lathe happened to show up in the outlet store. They did,
however, offer to refund me the full purchase price. Fair enough, I
understand this, but if I returned it for a refund, chances are I would need
to spend about $1000 or more to find a replacement. That was the deciding
factor for me....that is when I decided to take it to a repair shop, even
though it was still under warranty.....I hope I made the right decision by
fixing it & risking voiding the warranty.

By The way, thanx for all the time & effort you put into your website!! It
has
been a huge help to me. I must say, your sharpening jig was easy to make &
easier
to use. Keep up the good work.
"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message

Doug
Sorry to take so long to chime in here. For $380 I would have gotten one
just for a spare. I use this lathe a lot and have beaten it up more than
once. Capacitors are just weird. I had a table saw that ate 2 of them and
then the last one lasted 10 years and is still going. When I talk to the
electric motor people this seems par for the course. One guy near me says
"6 months or 60 years and not much in between." He also asks how much more
of a guarantee do you want for ten bucks? Point well taken. The problem
arises when the ten buck cap may cost $75 in repair costs if you do not
know how or whether to switch it out yourself.

I keep saying that one of these days I am going to learn how to repair
every tool in the shop including the electrical and gas powered motors.
Hah! :-)

Keep turning.
God Bless

Darrell