Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred Fred is offline

Default Excitation of 65 Kva Alternator

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
. uk...
Fred wrote:

I would have thought the AVR would have terminals for a battery for the
initial excitation? Given that this is a 1980's alternator I doubt the
electronics at the time would have stretched to supplying 71V and 18A. I
may well be wrong but I would have thought a mechanical vibrating
regulator would be more likely.

Back in the 1980s we had these things called "computers" which were
sometimes the size of a small car, and ate 10s of kW at 5V. And we had
these other things called "Radars" which sometimes ate megawatts - at a
somewhat higher voltage.

So I wouldn't be at all surprised to find an electronic one in equipment
of that vintage.

Andy

I said I might be wrong. I think you'll find the cost of a radar or even a
sensible computer in the early 80's probably cost more than this generator.

Until recently the regulator in your car dashboard was a vibrating reed
affair. It worked, was cheaper and more rugged to abuse than semiconductor
equivalents. Similarly flasher relays. The access of new technology
doesn't mean it's immediately a cost effective solution to every engineering
problem.