Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default wire connector in socket box ?

jim wrote:

But be aware of the limitations of the safe loading on your new spur.

There are no limitations of loading on a spur that you need to keep in
mind really. If the spur is unfused then it can supply at most one
single socket. That in itself limits the maximum load. (for more than
one double socket you would require a fused spur - an hence a total load
limit of 13A imposed by the fused connection unit).

This maybe needs clarification.

The rules SFAIUI are that a single spur - normally in 2.5mmsq cable,
unless its route etc dictates a larger size - can feed only one
fitting, but that fitting can contain either a single 13 A outlet or a
pair (ie double) of outlets.

Yup, sorry I was trying to word "a single double socket" IYSWIM, and got
something that failed quite admirably ;-)

This is because a double 13A socket is counted as a single 13A fitting
for assessing circuit loading (or at least was in the 16th IEE regs).

I was under the impression that is was usually counted as 20A rather
than 13A...

To feed more than one fitting on a spur, a fused connection unit must
be wired into the spur. This may be placed anywhere along the spur
before the first fitting. The fuse rating may be up to 20A, (but is
often only 13A) as 20 A is the limit current for 2.5mmsq cable.

Depends on the installation method somewhat - 20A is toward the lower
end (i.e. de-rated by several factors).

--
Cheers,

John.