Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Soldering Iron for Computer Cables

On Nov 2, 8:54*am, Robin .@. wrote:
Sigh.

Can anyone recommend a soldering iron that, er, works.

I have a small customer computer cable that I need to solder to an RS232
DE-9. (i.e. 4 small wires onto a mounting block.)

I've got a Antex 16-18w iron that I got from Maplin a couple of years
back, but rarely used. It doesn't even melt the flippin solder when I
try to tin the tip.

So, any recommendations for a decent iron?

If you get another iron go for a 25w rather than the piddly 15
watters. This'll make it usable for many more apps.

As for a decent iron, theres really no need. I've never come across an
iron that was working properly that couldnt make a decent joint.

NT