Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Bicycle Repair

"RLM" wrote in message
On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:21:32 -0400, salty wrote:

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:12:04 -0400, RLM wrote:

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 09:39:52 -0400, salty wrote:

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 21:26:22 -0400, wrote:

Some moron left a pretty decent bike on my lawn (short version) and it
needed a few repairs so I did 'em.. I'm left with one I'm not sure how
to do. The tires have a wobble. Is there a method to the madness of
adjusting the spokes to help alleviate those wobbles??

TIA

To true the wheel, you will need to jury rig a truing stand. In your
case, the easiest way would likely be to turn the bike upside down,
and build an upright post of some sort that can be placed on the
ground beside the wheel. Duct tape a piece of stiff wire (coathanger)
to the post pointing towards the side of the wheel rim. Adjust the
pointer wire so that as you turn the wheel, the wire is as close as
possible without touching at any point. It will probably be close in
one or more spots and far away at others.

Now spin the wheel and grab it to stop it as it passes the place that
is farthest from the indicator. adjust the spoke tensions in that area
to bring it closer. Don't over-do it. You'll be doing this repeatedly
for quite some time as you GRADUALLY bring the rim into true in small
increments. Take care that you don't end up pulling the whole rim all
the way to one side in relation to the hub, or leave the hub anywhere
other then exactly centered as the axis. A real truing stand would
have indicators on both sides, and top and bottom. A practiced tech
with the real equipment can often true a rim in minutes.

If this is all too much work for you, just bring the wheel to any bike
shop and let them do it. It won't cost that much.

I would turn the bike up ended on it's handlebars. I used the front fork
to mount either wheel and trued them using the fork as a benchmark.

I think you should have read what I wrote before you posted.

I read it and all you need is your finger to gage the proximity of the
rim as you rotate it. Been there, done that.

Personally, I use the brake shoes as the guage.