Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Question about old heating oil tank

"Logic316" wrote in message

My heating oil tank is pretty old, and is located in my basement. I have no
idea how much rust might be inside it. Is there any way to gauge it's
structural integrity and approximate remaining lifespan? And should it spring
a leak one day, is there any trick for quickly patching an oil leak just until
a new tank can be installed? They say that with leaky automobile gas tanks,
you can rub a bar of soap into the hole and it would hold for a while, would
that work?

I acquired a used air compressor tank that I wanted to verify was safe. I talked
to the "boiler and pressure vessel" inspector for the city, who volunteered to
drop by and checked multiple locations on the tank for thickness using a
handheld ultrasonic thickness guage. So yes, it should be possible. Finding the
tool, or someone to do it might be a problem.