Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default Craftsman Lathe...Capacitor problem????

Doug
Sorry to take so long to chime in here. For $380 I would have gotten one
just for a spare. I use this lathe a lot and have beaten it up more than
once. Capacitors are just weird. I had a table saw that ate 2 of them
and then the last one lasted 10 years and is still going. When I talk to
the electric motor people this seems par for the course. One guy near me
says "6 months or 60 years and not much in between." He also asks how
much more of a guarantee do you want for ten bucks? Point well taken.
The problem arises when the ten buck cap may cost $75 in repair costs if
you do not know how or whether to switch it out yourself.

I keep saying that one of these days I am going to learn how to repair
every tool in the shop including the electrical and gas powered motors.
Hah! :-)

Keep turning.
God Bless

Darrell