Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kevin Kevin is offline

Default Soldering Iron for Computer Cables

geoff wrote:
In message , Kevin
writes
Tim Downie wrote:
Robin wrote:
Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 08:54:48 UTC, Robin .@. wrote:

Can anyone recommend a soldering iron that, er, works.

I have a small customer computer cable that I need to solder to an
RS232 DE-9. (i.e. 4 small wires onto a mounting block.)

I've got a Antex 16-18w iron that I got from Maplin a couple of
years back, but rarely used. It doesn't even melt the flippin
solder when I try to tin the tip.

So, any recommendations for a decent iron?
I do these quite a bit, and have no trouble.

I use an Antex 16-18W soldering iron.

Do you have some of the new lead-free solder, I wonder?

Yes, lead-free solder. Didn't realise I needed anything special for
the iron. Having a look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldering_iron shows me I need
350-400°C.
Surely what you want is leaded solder? ;-)
Tim

if you can still get it that is ,that's why I stocked up :-)

Of course you can - I bought 12 reels of it 2 months ago (from CPC)

So you can I thought it had been banned as you could not sell an item
with lead in it any more

--
Kevin R
Reply address works