Posted to uk.d-i-y
Timothy Murphy[_2_] Timothy Murphy[_2_] is offline

Default Fed up with HP

wrote:

Fed up with the reliability of HPs printers (Talking about the sub
£300 market here.) which seem to have gone down the tubes recently.
We've had 2 DOAs and at least 3 die within 6 months. Dealing with
their "Customer Support" is enough to give you severly raised blood
pressure. It's a pity, as i've been buying their kit and finding it
very reliable for years prior to this.

I must say my experience with HP has been very good.
My Photosmart C4280 all-in-one developed a paper-feed problem.
I rang the HP service number mentioned in their documentation,
and got put through to a tech guy in South Africa
who took me through quite a lengthy operation -
basically re-booting the printer
(not the same as switching off and on) -
and to my surprise the problem disappeared.

I was so pleased I got a 2-year extended warranty for £19.

Incidentally, I got extended life cartridges from HP,
and didn't think they were exorbitantly expensive.

One advantage for me is that my Linux system
recognised the printer when I attached it,
and set it up under CUPS.

Like the other posters, I also have an ancient LaserJet 5L,
which just keeps working.
I did have a problem with a broken spring a year or so ago,
but I got a mending kit on eBay (with video to explain what to do)
and it was relatively easy to take the printer apart and mend it.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net