Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dar[_2_] Dar[_2_] is offline

Default sandcasting question

On Nov 1, 7:11*pm, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
"Tim Wescott" wrote in message

news
Do you know of any references on how to do it right? *I've got a project
in mind (that probably needs to wait 10 years) that could be done quite
well with plaster cast aluminum, I think.

Tim Mc Creight's book Practical Casting is pretty detailed and
comprehensive. ISBN 0-9615984-0-9.
Also this is one of my favourite web siteshttp://www.backyardmetalcasting..com/index.html

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Sheesh, Tim McCreight is everywhere (at least in the jewelry -book-
writing arena. I helped with a tiny artcle in
Metalsmith mag by him about my specialty way back around '92
somewhere, and have seen the name on lots of books I never read .

Yeah, I almost ordred some Petrobond from Budget but thought I'd
research a little more , mostly because I
was curious about green sand and if it came finer grit than 'normal'
oil sand .

What I'm going to be making are bronze conforming mold sets , matching
male & female repousse forming
molds for copper jewelry parts. I've made this sort of thing with
nylon female dies and steel or bronze punches , or plastic steel
sets, but we need something tougher than the nylon, or plastic steel,
or zinc, but at the same time a solution much less expensive that
conventional grapghite electrode edm-made die parts. The client
claims to want hundreds of mold sets and says they have to be cheap. I
already have the inexpensive flat part blanking die technology
going, so these molds will take pre-cut flat blanks and shape them in
a press. That's the way I decided to go , over another way: forming
the parts with the same kind of mold , but starting with a larger
piece of sheet and basically drawing the shape in the middle, leaving
a flat flange around the draw, and trimming in a modified cheapo (oh
but very skillfully made, lol !) blanking die. The advantage being the
cheaper faster blanking stage of the former scenario. Lots of
potential bugaboos with the guys down in mexico stamping designs into
the flat parts , then forming them in the bronze molds . But it all
juuust miiiight work out

eventually ...

blog off

Dar