Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Logic316 Logic316 is offline

Default Question about old heating oil tank

wrote in message
On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 23:48:52 -0400, "Logic316"
wrote:

My heating oil tank is pretty old, and is located in my basement. I have
no
idea how much rust might be inside it. Is there any way to gauge it's
structural integrity and approximate remaining lifespan? And should it
spring a leak one day, is there any trick for quickly patching an oil leak
just until a new tank can be installed? They say that with leaky
automobile
gas tanks, you can rub a bar of soap into the hole and it would hold for a
while, would that work?

Dump a cup or two or very fine sawdust in it.

Oh yeah, I forgot all about my jar of fine sawdust oil coagulant, it's in my
garage right next to the box of muffler bearings and the quart of blinker
fluid.

- Logic316

Logic: n. The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the
limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.
-- Ambrose Bierce