Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] vk3bfa@hotmail.com is offline

Default Cylindrical grinder setup question.

On Nov 2, 6:26 am, "Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:
wrote in message

snip----

I strongly suggest you look at grinding in a totally different light than
you do turning on a lathe. Grinding is more art than anything----and
requires a light touch and good sense. Few machinists make a good
grinder----most are too crude and heavy handed. Treat your grinder with
due respect, never over tightening fasteners, and NEVER touching the
machine, aside from the dials, when it is working. The slightest defection
of the table when it is working will readily show in the grind.

Remember-----precision grinding is an art-----not always mastered by many.

Harold

Thanks Harold - yes, the job can be removed from the machine, it is
ground between centres - I have set it up properly re the driving dog,
was instructed on that. the tailstock end (for want of a better word)
is lever actuated. Was worried about losing registration. Point noted
re using micrometers to measure. Will look up sine bar in the text
book - I thinks its a 4th year subject (changing light bulbs was year
2!)

The thing is, I will probably never go near a grinder again, just want
to do it for the sheer joy of learning something new!

Andrew VK3BFA.