Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Martin John Martin is offline

Default WTD: Old Delta 1/2hp Motor

On Nov 1, 3:47*pm, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:
I have an old - well it was bought new in 35 by a friend :-)
He was into audio - home made amps and needed one.

The double shaft allows for a flex shaft that Delta sold.
Dad had one from the 40's and sometime in the late 90's it
finally bit the dust. *Internal flex shaft broke. *It was used
to wire brush stuff or polish with a cloth buffer.

Martin

Are you saying that this was meant to be used with the toolmakers
grinder?

While the bump-out in the casting accommodates the double shaft motor,
there does not appear to be any way to hook up to the shaft. If you
put a flexible shaft on it, you'd have to drill a hole in the
casting. If you put a pulley on the shaft, you'd have to have the
driven pulley below it - and there doesn't appear to be a mount in the
casting for such an accessory.

Marty mentioned balanced motors. I'm not sure that these were
balanced. The literature mentions that the pulley and motor were
balanced as a unit - implying that the motor itself was not balanced
to begin with, and that it was corrected by using an out-of-balance
pulley. Maybe I'm assuming too much, though.

John Martin