Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred Fred is offline

Default Excitation of 65 Kva Alternator

"George" wrote in message
I posted this on an Electrical Engineering Group, but no one knew
there, - does anyone know here ?

I have had a very big 3 phase 415v 50 c/s alternator for years now
and
at last I need to put it into service.

It was manufactured by Mawdsley in the early 80s and when I shut it
down, I disconnected the AVR too and kept this and the spare I held.
I have checked with the Company and there is no way that they can
help
me with the excitation to fire it up. Before I go to all the trouble
of connecting it up to a diesel engine and spin it up to 1500 rpm,
can
anyone please tell me a few things about it.

It has a separate excitation generator on the end of the shaft and I
would imagine that this is still in circuit, as I have not been
inside
it yet. How does this set up actually work. does the alternator self
excite and the AVR just keep the output within narrow and automatic
limits? Will it produce 3 phase on it's own or is the AVR essential
and in this case is it a standard wiring circuit or will it be unique
to this alternator and AVR setup?

There is quite a lot of information on the makers plates on the two
units, but no information on how to connect it all up. The AVR
itself
has a whole lot of wire connections available but nothing to tell me
what goes where. I have spent hours looking for information on the
web, but with no luck.

Can you post some pictures somewhere. I know a lot about the theory but
nothing of the alternator you're describing.