Posted to uk.d-i-y
BigWallop[_2_] BigWallop[_2_] is offline

Default Excitation of 65 Kva Alternator

"George" wrote in message
I posted this on an Electrical Engineering Group, but no one knew
there, - does anyone know here ?

I have had a very big 3 phase 415v 50 c/s alternator for years now
and
at last I need to put it into service.

It was manufactured by Mawdsley in the early 80s and when I shut it
down, I disconnected the AVR too and kept this and the spare I held.
I have checked with the Company and there is no way that they can
help
me with the excitation to fire it up. Before I go to all the trouble
of connecting it up to a diesel engine and spin it up to 1500 rpm,
can
anyone please tell me a few things about it.

The best thing to do, is fire it up. Get it spinning and see sort of thing.

The Auto' Volt' Reg' will be regulating both internal and output supplies, I
would have thought. Also, If you can't see any sort of external bridging
between the units, then it would seem that the AVR would already be
connected and ready to go.

The other Regulators sound like drop downs for external low voltage supply,
maybe from the AVR to sensors on the exciter, to check the main output and
automatically adjust engine speed Etc.

Can you post pictures for us?

Have you read anything like this
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/alternator2.htm to get a better idea of how
the workings go together with each other? It might be worth a read through,
to see if it gives any pointers on the connection layout and internal
workings.