Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Question about old heating oil tank

Logic316 wrote:

My heating oil tank is pretty old, and is located in my basement. I have no
idea how much rust might be inside it. Is there any way to gauge it's
structural integrity and approximate remaining lifespan? And should it
spring a leak one day, is there any trick for quickly patching an oil leak
just until a new tank can be installed? They say that with leaky automobile
gas tanks, you can rub a bar of soap into the hole and it would hold for a
while, would that work?

They do ultrasonic inspection on steel boat hulls, however given the
pretty low cost of a new oil tank, the cheapest thing is typically to
proactively replace them if there is any indication of deterioration.