Posted to alt.home.repair
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default OT - Boy shocked after man powers up campaign sign

George wrote:
Michael Dobony wrote:

I had a mailbox run over 3 times. They drove directly over the top
of it. The fourth time I bought a springloaded metal pole and
filled
it with cement. Should cause quite a bit of damage if they try it
again!

You may want to reconsider that. My friend was successfully sued
over
such a mailbox when a riff-raff got hurt. In his case they were
beating down mailboxes with bats while their cars were moving so he
erected a beefier support. There are lots of lawyers whose only
interest is to transfer wealth to themselves who will be
interviewing
the riff-raff at the hospital to "protect and help" them.

How about an impact fused Claymore in the mailbox? When it goes off,
immediately call Homeland Security and complain about a letter bomb.
Not your fault if some vandal set it off instead of you.

More seriously and practically, the solution I've seen that works and
doesn't hurt anybody is to hang the mailbox from an overhead pole or
tree limb, or put it on a gate hinge--in New England it's common to
see both of those as snow-plow protection--in a heavy snowfall the
plow doesn't always quite know where the edge of the road is, and it
will take your average mailbox off at the ground.

If you like dinking with electronics, you might be able to rig a
gatsoid that triggers when the box moves--with face and license number
and caught in the act it will be hard for the cops to wiggle out of
busting the SOB.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)