Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
George George is offline

Default Question about old heating oil tank

Logic316 wrote:
My heating oil tank is pretty old, and is located in my basement. I have no
idea how much rust might be inside it. Is there any way to gauge it's
structural integrity and approximate remaining lifespan? And should it
spring a leak one day, is there any trick for quickly patching an oil leak
just until a new tank can be installed? They say that with leaky automobile
gas tanks, you can rub a bar of soap into the hole and it would hold for a
while, would that work?

- Logic316

"Science is not a sacred cow. Science is a horse. Don't worship it. Feed
it."

It is pretty difficult to do a meaningful inspection of an oil tank that
is filled or partially filled. Thats why some insurers demand that old
tanks be replaced. The leak could vary from lots of dripping to a
blowout. Blowouts usually happen when the tank is being filled.